After-school Social Awareness Program
Designed for school aged children diagnosed with high functioning Autism, Aspergers, ADD, ADHD and/or PDD.
Our focus is to enhance and build more advanced social, conversation and friendship skills, while increasing independence and social appropriateness in a variety of situations.
This program also targets important life skills such as cooking, kitchen awareness, laundry, and other basic home skills.
· The curriculum (Model Me Kids) targets important life skills such as bullying, personal hygiene, organization, respect for others, flexibility, and self-regulation and compromising skills.
· Social skills are taught and generalized through video modeling, role play, interactive activities and group discussions.
· Individualized, measurable goals as well as general classroom goals are created for each student.
· Students self-assess their own performance with teacher guidance and monitor their own progress.
· Progress is communicated through daily notes, semester progress reports and parent conferences.
· Willing to collaborate with schools to aid in generalization of skills.
· Monthly parent chats hosted by program coordinators to provide support and an opportunity to learn basic strategies in problem areas.
Requirements for Participating:
· Independent form of effective communication
· Can complete toileting routine independently
· Does not require one-on-one assistance for behavioral support, communication, etc.
· Can transition through daily activities independently
Monday: 7th-8th Grade
Tuesday: 3rd-4th Grade
Wednesday: 5th-6th Grade
Thursday: K-2nd Grade
Community outing group * Call for details*
Thursday: 9th-12th Grade
* Developmental level also considered in placement
How do I start?
1. Follow the link below to fill out the enrollment packet. If you do not have access to a computer, call Necia Mathews and we will arrange to mail a physical copy of the packet.
2. Submit the form on line or mail it to the address below.
3. If you are a new student, you will receive a call to set up a trial run to assure that we can best fit your needs.
For more information please contact program coordinator, Necia Mathews at (205) 957-0294.